Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Headaches, headaches, I hate you!!

I have had headaches this entire pregnancy. But they have gotten increasingly worse. To the point where I go to bed with headaches, I wake up in the middle of the night with headaches, and I wake up in the morning with headaches. Yes, I know-eat and drink more water. Today, I went to work and I sat down at my desk. I couldn't read my computer screen my head hurt so bad. Then it started getting hot and sweaty. And my head was pounding so hard I could feel the pulse without even touching my forehead. I think I have a high tolerance for pain, but I couldn't bear it, I started crying. And got a sub.

On my way home from work, I called my nurse. I try very hard not to call the doctor for things I know are common in pregnancy. I don't want to be that patient. So I called her for the 2nd time this pregnancy. My nurse went through a list of questions. Do you have allergies? No. Is your body swollen? No. Do you have high blood pressure? No. I just have unbearable headaches that are getting worse by the day, and the Tylenol is not cutting it.

My doctor's office is on my way home from school (the 4 mile commute that it is) so she had me stop by to check my blood pressure and the baby's heartbeat. Blood pressure was fine, and the baby's heartbeat was 154. I asked if there was a prescription I could take that would be stronger than Tylenol. 30 minutes later Phil and I was at CVS picking it up. I chased it down with a drink and a biscuit.

I'm very thankful the nurse could see me with no notice and that everything was fine. I have since spent the morning and afternoon at home, laying in bed in my dark room. I feel better already. I haven't moved an inch in 4 hours, except to go to the bathroom-funny since I haven't even had anything to drink.

On that note, I need to prevent the next headache from showing up by going to get something to eat since I haven't had more than a biscuit today. Please, no more headaches for awhile!! But it is worth it since I got to listen to the best sound in the world today-my baby's heartbeat!!

1 comment:

Living my life as a mommy and wife......... said...

Yes the eating and staying hydrated (although I could never quite figure out how to drink as much as they tell you to, and not be in the bathroom 80% of the day, HA!)are important, but as for the headaches... oh the joys of progesterone! I too went through all the same horriable med's and Dr's to get and stay pregnant. Like you said....they were sooooo worth it though. I am so excited for you both. Hang in there!!!